Monday, December 3, 2012

Why Hipster? WHY!?

As generations come and go, new styles arise and people begin to follow new trends.  My generation has decided that being a "hipster" is the new cool thing.  I am not a fan.  I just don't understand what is appealing about wearing uncomfortably tight clothes and using big glasses for no reason.  And don't even get me started with the whole instagram thing.  I'll admit that I tried it out for a little, but after seeing my friend post a picture of every meal she eats with a fancy filter, I got over it.  If you want to take cool, unique photos get a camera.  Photography is supposed to capture memories, so unless you consider every meal a memory you want to cherish, take it easy on the food pics.

Perhaps my biggest beef with the hipster culture is that it is the definition of irony.  The whole hipster culture is about being unique, creating your own style, and being as different from everyone else as possible... BUT EVERYONE IS DOING IT!  You want to be different?  Put on a button down shirt and some slacks. The one positive of being a hipster is that you can get your clothes from a 99 cent store and be considered stylish, but spending more than 50 dollars on an outfit or two is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

I am obviously being quite critical of our generations "trend" but I just really feel like we have dropped the ball.  Imagine if your Facebook wasn't crowded with weird filtered pictures, and people weren't so concerned with being "edgy".  I guess I am a cynic, but c'mon guys!


Max Hershfield

P.S. I am not the only one fed up with Instagram.
http://www.businessinsider.com/college-humor-instagram-parody-2012-12








1 comment:

Susan Schuyler said...

Note about instagram, I am not the only one!

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-humor-instagram-parody-2012-12

Max Hershfield