Monday, May 30, 2011

Underground Music Spotlight: 2562 Album Review



Prominent underground artist Dave Huismans, otherwise known as "2562", released his full-length album "Fever" worldwide in March, 2011. He combines elements of techno, broken funk, and dubstep in his music, which uses the bassline as a primary voice in songs. Here is a track-by-track review of "Fever," with youtube links to my favorite tunes on the album. Simply put, this album is out of this world, where 2562 masterfully weaves some of the deepest basslines with otherworldly melodies. I highly recommend this one.

1. Winamp Melodrama - Huismans uses broken Windows samples to create a hard-hitting rhythm. Good use of effects like filters and masterful sampling accompanies this tune. A fair opener to the album, albeit slightly repetitive. My Rating: 7/10

2. Cheater - very upbeat vibes with the drum beats and a weighty, melodic bassline make this a great track on the low and middle sections. I was left wanting more from the high-end, until hearing the trippy synth lines. My Rating: 7.5 / 10

3. Juxtapose - Great broken percussion on this track, with a deep wobbly bassline to accompany it. The hip-hop style, high-end synth shows how 2562 is a master of several genres of music. Recommended! My Rating: 8.5 / 10

4. Aquatic Family Affair - Deep, underwater sounding bassline with a strangely uplifting synth line. Nice animal noises. This song has great builds too, that keep listeners enraptured throughout the entire song. Highly recommended! My Rating: 9.5 / 10
Link:

5. Intermission - Very Melodic with a deep, funky bassline that keeps the body moving! The instrumentation on this track is great, everything comes together nicely. And I found this one strangely uplifting (strangely uplifting is definitely a common theme of this album...) My Rating: 9 / 10
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC2BzXUi1Ic

6. Flavour Park Jam - Eerie bells with a growling dark bassline open this track up to create a dark mood, while 2562 shows off his percussive skills with a minimal drum line. Finally this song adds a wobbly mid-range synth line that's strangely uplifting. Very sonically pleasing tune. My Rating: 9 / 10

7. This is Hardcore - the only thing hardcore about this song is the heavily processed, rolling bassline that constitutes most of this track. Tribal sounding drums complement the bassline while a moving organ darkens the tone of this song. My Rating: 8.5 / 10

8. Brasil Deadwalker - A very fast drumline pushes this moving track, which quickly introduces a deep, groovy bassline. The song's breakdown is completely out of this world, this is where 2562 takes his music to new levels. His manipulation of the main melody, expertly throwing the rhythm slightly off-beat really captured me. I feel the drums were a little too repetitive in this track, however. My Rating: 8.5 / 10

9. Final Frenzy - I really like the old vintage feel that Huismans uses on this track. The drums really got me moving too! Definitely one of my favorites. This feels like a driving music of a pseudo-reality, and I completely enjoy it. My Rating: 9.5 / 10
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIGwEbO1kgY

10. Wasteland - The second half of this album is really groundbreaking when it comes to 2562's sonic stylings, and Wasteland is no exception. This one has a very tribally feel which makes me imagine some sort of futuristic, tribal ritual in a post-apocalyptic society. Word. This track has a downright epic use of samples as well. If you don't have a subwoofer, you probably can't hear half of this song. My Rating: 9 / 10

11. Fever - This song is, without a doubt, one of the reasons why I am a fan of 2562. The distorted female vocals really work wonders with 2562's light use of percussion and deep, moving bassline. Elevator music of the year 2050? I think yes! 2562 is truly a master of bass music. I highly recommend this song. My Rating: 10 / 10
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqvnw4ouZw

No comments: